Vol 1:4 Church as Instrument of the Reign of God

Paul writes in his letter to the Corinthian church that “we are God’s co-workers” (1 Cor. 3:9) and he refers to other Christians as “co-workers for the kingdom of God” (Colossians 4:11). This is a key understanding of who we are as church. The church does not exist for itself – to grow itself, to develop itself as an institution, but, rather, the church is called to engage in...
readmore

Vol 1:3 Church as Sign of the Reign of God

Jesus in John’s Gospel sends out his disciples with this word: “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you. Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of anyone, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven” (John 20: 21-22). All that Jesus was sent to be and do by God the Father, now is being passed onto his disciples (and those...
readmore

Vol 1:2 Why Does the Church Exist?

When we talk about mission or missions we tend to think of the church as being a sending agency or support agency for missionaries. We set aside, perhaps 10% or more, in our church budgets to support our mission efforts. So what do we do with the other 90%? How do we classify that ministry? What if all we are called to do is intended to be mission? As the Center for Parish Development has...
readmore

Vol 1:1 Whose Mission Is It?

Here is where the confusion usually begins. In engaging the whole missional dialogue we often bring this new language to our current understandings of missions in the local church. Missions for most of us is one of the ministries of our church in which we support missionaries and efforts, either globally or locally, with the intent of bringing the gospel of Jesus Christ to people groups in word...
readmore

line
footer
iMissional.org | Roland Kuhl